Scientific knowledge has evolved over the past few centuries in various political and socio-cultural contexts. There is seen to be a substantially disproportionate legacy of European thought in scientific education. How the fingerprints of colonialism continue to shape the way academic institutions function and teach science is a question of utmost value in the process of ensuring diversified knowledge sharing. While the subject of decolonising raises several questions on institutional privilege and power, it is worth noting that this is also a subject deeply personal and resonant amongst the respective members of a community. Here we explore the meaning it holds for different members of the STS family at UCL. We speak to an undergraduate student, a PhD candidate, an early career lecturer, and one of the co-heads of department for STSUCL.
This episode of WeAreSTS was created by Roha Ali Khan, a Master’s student, as part of the STSNewsRoom2022.
Reporter and researcher
- Roha Ali Khan
Roha also writes for Medium.com, and
she contributed materials to our annual magazine, STS Alchemy 2022.
- Stephanie, Undergraduate Student, UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies
- Dr Benjamin Weil, (formerly a PhD Candidate, now complete), UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies
- Dr Michel Wahome, Lecturer in Science, Technology and Society, UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies
- Professor Emma Tobin, UCL Professor of Philosophy of Science and co-Head of Department (with Professor Jon Agar), UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies
- Professor Joe Cain, UCL Professor of History and Philosophy of Biology
Intro and Exit music
- “Rollin At 5,” by Kevin MacLeod
Music within the episode
- “Serious Documentary,” by AShamaleuvMusic
WeAreSTS is a production of the Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS) at University College London (UCL). To find out more, or to leave feedback about the show:
This site also includes information for how STS students and staff can get involved with our programme.
Editing and post-production of the main episode by Roha Ali Khan.
WeAreSTS producer is Professor Joe Cain.
Twitter: @stsucl #WeAreSTS